Friday 20 August 2010

A levels

I have lots of sympathy for all the A level students currently looking for university places. I remember all too well when I got my results. I was nowhere near where I needed to be, and spent a long time looking at other options, including some crazy things I would never have enjoyed. I was one of the fortunate ones, and eventually got onto the course I wanted to do- I realise how lucky I was as I definitely wouldn’t have managed it this year.

Some comments I’ve heard this year seem rather insensitive. The Guardian is reporting David Willetts as suggesting people should do volunteering for a year and then try again next year. Well yes, if you have parents willing and able to pay for you this may be an option. But if not, how are you going to afford a year with no income, and then what guarantees are there that you will get a place next year in any case. These are difficult times for anyone trying out for university. I just hope that those who have got places appreciate how fortunate they are and work hard to do well on their chosen courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment